Building on Our Foundation
The 2018 ARDA Annual Meeting, the 112th in our history, will continue our 2018 theme of "Building on Our Foundation" in New York, NY from June 10-12, 2018. The meeting will kick off the evening of Sunday, June 10 with our welcome reception at Bookmarks at the Library Hotel near Grand Central Station. On Monday, June 11, our General Session will begin at the City University of New York (CUNY) Graduate Center at West 34th Street and 5th Avenue in Manhattan. Our program will continue through Tuesday, June 12, culminating in our annual President's Dinner.
Registration for the 2018 Annual Meeting is now open via this link.
ARDA has secured a discounted rate at the Embassy Suites by Hilton New York Midtown Manhattan at $279/night. Rooms in the block are available between June 9-13, but our rate will be honored three days before and after the dates in the block depending on availability. Rooms may be booked via this link, or by calling (800) 362-2779, and referencing the "ARDA Block." The ARDA block rate has been extended through Friday, May 18, 2018.
Embassy Suites by Hilton New York Midtown Manhattan
Address: 60 W 37th St., New York, NY 10018
ARDA Block Reservations Link: Click Here
Reservations Line: (800) 362-2779, Reference "ARDA Group" to receive the discounted ARDA rate
Hotel Website: Click Here
Distance to CUNY GC: 6 minute walk (Google Map)
Price: $279/night (ARDA Block Rate)
Program and Speakers
- Patrick Thrasher, Manager of the Port Rail Program for the Port Authority of NY and NJ, and James Bonner, President of the New York & Atlantic Railway, will discuss Moving Freight to Manhattan and Beyond: The Greenville Yard Rail-to-Barge Project and the Cross-Harbor Rail Tunnel
- Ryan White of the New York City Economic Develop Corp., will speak on Metropolitan Rail Freight Council (MFRC) Action Plan
- Conrail's Jonathan Broder will discuss the Conrail Split Two Decades On and provide an Introduction to the High Line
- Allan Pickering of Bartlett & West will discuss Development and the Future of GIS
- Dan Breen (JLL) will lead a Site Selection Panel
- Brian Bailey (Transcend Spatial) will present on Leveraging 4D and 5D Models Through Visualization Impacts Decision Making
- Kevin Baldwin (Daley Mohan Groble) will present on the results of the ARDA Benchmarking Study
- Other topics will include Augmented Reality, Challenges with Public-Private Partnerships and Delegating Federal Regulatory Authority, Legal Updates, round-table discussions on Utility Crossings and Technology Change Management and more!
Information on all of our speakers and presenters at the Annual Meeting can be found at this link.
A Tentative Schedule of the Annual Meeting is now available here. The schedule includes times for:
- Educational Program Sessions
- Receptions and the President's Dinner
- ARDA Silent Auction
- And more...
ARDA will once again be hosting a Silent Auction at the 2018 Annual Meeting. If you are interested in donating an item to be put up for auction please send your item to:
American Railway Development Association
Attn: Fred Oelsner
410 First Street SE
Washington, DC 20003
Please contact Fred Oelsner at email@example.com when shipping items for the Silent Auction with details about the item and expected arrival date, or for more information.
- Amtrak serves New York Penn Station, an approximately 10-15 min walk from the CUNY Graduate Center.
- Penn Station is connected directly to many East Coast and Midwestern cities via a number of services, including the Northeast Regional and Acela Express.
- Three airports serve the New York area: La Guardia Airport (LGA), John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), and Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR).
- Newark (EWR) offers the most convenient transit connection to Penn Station, with regular service on NJ Transit and more limited options via Amtrak.
- JFK is served by the AirTrain which connects to the NYC Subway system and the Long Island Railroad, which offer connections to stations in Midtown Manhattan.
- Taxis from all three airports are available with a flat fare of $52 (plus fees) from JFK and metered rates from EWR and LGA.
- LGA is in the process of being redeveloped, which will continue during the 2018 Annual Meeting. Attendees are encouraged to check on how this project might impact their travel options to and from the airport before booking a flight into LGA.